Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it impossible to keep a rabbit cage clean?

Other than cleaning it everyday? My rabbit is litter box trained completely outside its cage and only does the territorial poops inside the cage, but there are a TON of them and he gets it everywhere and his pee gets onto them sometimes.Is it impossible to keep a rabbit cage clean?
My rabbits are litter box trained inside and outside their area (puppy playpen). I spot clean mostly torn up cardboard and hay they are relatively clean. My newest bunny tips her water over a lot still so she is getting a clamped on bowl for that.Is it impossible to keep a rabbit cage clean?
No. Rabbits will poop and pee, just the way life is. If the smell is bothering you there are products like odorz out that you can put in the bottom of the cage and products you can put in their water to reduce the smell.
rabbit cages/litter boxes really have to be cleaned everyday because they go to the bathroom so much, there really isn't much you can do about it, it's part of owning a rabbit. Plus it's just more sanitary for them as well if you clean it every day. However do you have his litter box inside his cage as well? because it sounds like that isn't just territorial poops if there is a ton of them. When you litter train a rabbit they should be using the box both inside and outside of the cage.
I clean weekly.


My rabbit loves to make a mess but he does totally use his litter tray.


However he has an inside hutch with a run not a cage.





If your rabbit is not always using his litter tray you should place the feces in the litter tray to make him understand that he has to use only that.





Having said that, rabbits in cages are less likely to use a litter tray if they are caged at night and let out in the day.





You could try creating a small ';always accessible'; run which has a litter box in it. Then your rabbit would see the difference between a place to sleep, a litter box and a place to play.
lol I agree my rabbit just refuses to keep her cage clean, even for two days! She's litter trained too. But she only doesn't go in the litter box when it's full or if she has diarrhea (doesn't want to get her fur nasty I guess) lol
I clean every day. Otherwise, I think it smells (even though visitors tell me it doesn't, I'm quite sensitive). If your rabbit is pooing outside the litter box in the cage in larger quantities, your box is likely too small. I have not had a rabbit, once litter trained, that would leave more than a couple poos scattered about a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment