Friday, August 6, 2010

Can someone explain why my rabbit keeps pissing on me?

Is it cos he has not been castrated and I am female???? Or something maybe more behavioural? I have had him for 3 weeks and got him from the shelther where he had been since he was a baby (he is now 9 months) he is really timid but has just started to piss on me everytime i put him on my lap. Is there a reason for this?Can someone explain why my rabbit keeps pissing on me?
There are a couple questions that need to be answered first. Is it when you hold the rabbit for a while? Does he want to be held, or does he squirm to get away? Has he been litter trained?





An untrained rabbit (they CAN be litter-trained... I have litter trained all my rabbits, and someone else's rabbit as well... they can be even more careful than cats or dogs) will sometimes pee if you hold it for too long, but most rabbits would not just pee on you like a puppy would. Generally, that should not be a problem. If it is, you might consider that rabbit might have an infection. If its a problem of litter training the rabbit, I'd advise against holding the rabbit for any longer than a few minutes until it is litter trained.





If the problem is because he is older, and un-altered (fixed), then you should get that done right away. Older male rabbits sometimes claim ';territory'; that way, and they can even claim people... especially the owner. Having the rabbit altered (fixed) will usually eliminate that problem within a couple months. I don't think this is the reason, because they don't usually sit in someone's lap first, but he should be fixed anyway.





A very timid rabbit might also lack bladder control. Some rabbits are never happy being held, and if the rabbit dislikes it, you should not force it. Instead, sit on the ground and let the rabbit come to you, and pet it. Don't be loud or make sudden moves that will frighten it. Give treats when the rabbit comes to you, or put treats on the floor near you, and give it lots of time, and hopefully a timid rabbit will become bolder and braver and happier. Keep in mind that at a shelter, most animals don't recieve contact from people. Since he was a baby, he's been shut in a tiny cage and barely been handled. He is probably afraid of people and everything else. Be gentle and give it time, and I wish you and your rabbit lots of luck and fun. :)Can someone explain why my rabbit keeps pissing on me?
male rabbits will 'pee' on you if you have your period. They are funny like that......
here are some possible reasons...


1) your lap is very warm and comfortable


2) he isn't ';potty trained'; to go to the bathroom in his cage


or


3) he just doesn't like you
Maybe he really, really likes you and he's a fetishist.
He's a baby and he's scared if he's domestic... and if he was taken from the wild, he doesn't like you right now.
It probably does not like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Because your lap warm
I think your rabbit is in its first heat, I did have rabbits as a child and vaguly remember this. If my memery is wrong I would suspect a urinary infection
He definately needs to be nutered. That should help a lot. Rabbits generally do no like being handled. it's because they are prey animals and they feel as though they are in danger when lifted.
He's a kinky rabbit, and loves giving you golden showers, come to think of it, I would love to do it to you as well.
Its because rabbits don't have to hold it. They just let a rip whenever they feel like peeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment