Saturday, August 21, 2010

What can I plant that my rabbit will not like to eat but which won't do it any harm?

My rabbit gets regularly released into our garden. He likes to eat anything and takes relatively no notice of the words ';no'; or ';leave'; or ';stop eating the roses';. We have a list of plants which will be poisonous to rabbits and ones which they like to eat. What we need is a ';what they don't like to eat but won't hurt them';!What can I plant that my rabbit will not like to eat but which won't do it any harm?
I wouldn't worry too much about the plants that are poisonous to rabbits. They tend to chew and drop rather than eat them. That is the one problem with a loose rabbit in the garden. Even if they don't like the taste they will chew it but they do know not to eat.


Try these...


Aquilegia, poppy, helianthemum, cistus, nigella, hydrangea, veronica, persicaria, antirhinum, godetia, allium (although they do chew the leaves) geraniums (hardy ones), lysimachia, chives, lavender, rosemary, marjoram, thyme...in fact most herbs as they do not like the strong flavour...budleja, rhodedendron, azalea, alchemilla mollis, crocosmia, some ferns, phlox...sometimes... geum, potentilla and foxglove. What can I plant that my rabbit will not like to eat but which won't do it any harm?
Anything that is grown from a bulb is poisonous.and if you have rhubarb in your garden the leaves are poisonous.
Have you considered hanging baskets and window boxes - both very ornamental.
mebbe


God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment