Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it safe to put a rabbit hutch on my deck?

Or will my rabbit get too cold? It's the only way I can think of to keep my rabbit outside of the house and safe from dogs/cats while I'm away from the house. I'd take it inside when I am at home but otherwise the balcony from the dining room seems a good option...Is it safe to put a rabbit hutch on my deck?
Depends on what you mean by ';hutch';? Is this a rabbit hutch with an enclosed, insulated nest box, or just a wire cage with a litter pan?





Bunnies have fur, they can live outdoors in the cold in most areas, with proper housing.





I would be more concerned about heat, direct sunlight, and storms. And the risk of the deck, itself.Is it safe to put a rabbit hutch on my deck?
I would opt for the balcony as it sounds more safe from predators. Do you have a garage? We keep our bunny's cage out there and let him run around wth house when the cats are locked up and the dogs are outside. It's probably the safest bet if you don't want to keep him in the house. Rabbits are built to withstand cold, but use some discretion. If you would be freezing walking outside then it is not ok to leave your rabbit out there. Between 50-70 degrees is pretty comfortable for them.
I wouldn't recommend leaving your rabbit outside. Here is why. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/outdo鈥?/a>
That's not the best situation, but it might work temporarily since the weather is not cold and it would be in the shade.





I am still somewhat concerned though.





I raise my rabbits outside, but they have a roof over them and I keep them in the shade. Also in the winter, they are enclosed on three sides to keep out a draft of wind.





In summer, rabbit's have to be protected from the sun and heat. So, it's best to place a rabbit hutch in a nice shady spot under a tree. They also need protected from the rain with a good roof. If they get wet during a rainstorm and the cold wind from rainstorm hits them, they can get pneumonia.





In the winter, rabbits can take the cold very well. Actually, they can take it all the way down to about -10F. The only breed you might want to pull inside sooner are English Lops due to their long ears. However, rabbits cannot take a cold wind draft. A cold draft of wind can very easily give a rabbit pneumonia. Pneumonia will kill a rabbit in 1-2 days or so or even a matter of hours. As long as the rabbit has 3 of the 4 sides of the cage enclosed, you don't really have to worry about a draft of wind.





Another thing you have to think about is whether your rabbit is protected from any loose neighborhood dogs or any raccoons that might be roaming about. Loose neighborhood dogs and raccoons can kill a rabbit in a heartbeat.
Depends on where you live.





Generally it's okay (though inside is preferable) in the summer provided there's adequate shade and it's got plenty of water. Bring it in at night for sure.





However, you have to make sure the litter tray is emptied EVERY DAY if it's outside. If flies lay eggs in the feces, your bunny can become infested with maggots and it's not a pretty sight. (I'm serious, it happened to my friend's rabbit, and it was very tragic.)





Best of luck

No comments:

Post a Comment